Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Jake Scare


As Jake has moved into old age and has been relatively symptom-free, I have begun to convince myself he will live forever, or at least for many more years.  That is, until this morning’s episode.
Jake was lying at the top of the stairs, outside my son’s room since they are rather inseparable now that Dan is home.  As I started to go up the stairs, he suddenly stood up with a really bizarre look on his face and began walking in circles, bumping his head into the wall.  Then he collapsed into a twitching mess with his eyes rolling and his tongue hanging way out as his head hung over the top stair.  
I woke Dan up with a yell to hold onto Jake to keep him from tumbling down the stairs.  My husband rushed up to hold his head as I thought he was dying right before my eyes.
I raced down to find a vet who could help us.  We opted not to go to his regular vet, who was a solo practitioner today, but rather to take our chances at the emergency vet hospital in Springfield.
By the time I had hung up the phone everyone was in the kitchen, including Jake who was still not steady on his feet and was favoring his back right leg.
I called to cancel my personal training session and Dan and I managed to get Jake into the back of the old Volvo for the trip to Springfield, where they were able to admit him soon after we arrived.  They immediately put in IV in his paw in case he should experience another seizure so they could administer the appropriate drugs.  
He is staying there for tests and Xrays and observation until at least 9:00 tonight.  They have already given him a positive report on his blood work.  So we are awaiting further news.
Meanwhile we added a hefty charge to the Visa account, one for which we will not be reimbursed by insurance.  I can rationalize that by the fact that we have had virtually no medical issues with this dog his entire life and he hasn’t seen a vet in a couple of years, getting his yearly shots at Petco.
If he comes home, and at this point I trust he will, I promise never to take for granted another day with Jake.  He truly is a wonder dog!


Update at 9 PM:  Jake had another seizure at the vet's, where he is spending the night, and he still has limited use of his right rear leg.  The vet is fairly sure he has a brain tumor.  We will have to make a tough decision in the morning as to whether his diminished quality of life warrants bringing him home.  I can't imagine life without that dog.

8 Comments:

Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

Aw, geez. I hope you get a good outcome.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- Yeah, me too. Things aren't looking so good tonight.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. I hope he recovers enough for you to bring him home, at the very least. It's interesting that they think it's a tumor -- are they sure he didn't have a stroke?

2:52 AM  
Blogger Judy Kramer said...

Oh, poor Jake! I hope he'll be OK.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

This is terrible news. When I read this the painful memories of my own experiences with aging pups came flooding back. I a m sorry that you are going through that. But there is some consolation that Jake has led a happy life filled with love and comfort.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Just checking back, Barbara. Thinking of you and your family and Jake.

1:14 PM  
Blogger e said...

I hope Jake is able to rally, at least for a time...

This won't be easy no matter the decision but Jake has had a wonderful life with you. My best to you all.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Barbara. Every moment with your beloved Jake is indeed so precious. He is a very lucky dog, to be so unconditionally loved his entire life. May your time be sweet.

XO,

F.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home