Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Left My Heart in Valparaiso






We are at the top of this beautiful city perched on a hill overlooking the sea. It's the city Pablo Neruda fell in love with. And now I see why.




We spent the day walking and taking photos and eating with a little buying thrown in. We only used public transportation at about 40 cents a ride when we needed to go great distances.




My good friend Steve would absolutely adore the tasteful graffiti found on just about every surface.




The city seems like the perfect crossing of the art and charm of Paris with the hills and views of San Francisco.




There are many small galleries with contemporary art like this piece and the one below which was a little out of our price range.




The colorful buildings are definitely part of the charm.




As is the bougainvillea growing in front of many houses.




We had a delicious lunch for $8 each. My Plato del dia included fresh strawberry juice, an appetizer of shrimp, avocado, and corn, a main dish of spinach-nut ravioli with a meat sauce, and a vanilla pudding with chocolate sauce for dessert.




The only mishap of the day happened as we were walking along the sidewalk under a building under renovation. All of a sudden I felt something hit my head and my backside. At first I suspected a bird. Then I saw the color of brown and thought much worse. But it smelled sweetly familiar. It turned out to be chocolate with milk that was tossed out an upper story window. I looked like quite a mess but since I couldn't see most of the damage, I opted to just keep on walking.



After walking for another hour or so, we stopped for onces, the Chilean hour for coffee/tea and something sweet.



We are back on our hilltop watching the sun go down and trying to figure out whether to venture back down the hill for dinner.




What a great place to end our Chilean odyssey.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:La Leona,Valparaíso,Chile

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

It looks wonderful! And yes, I am fascinated by the street art. I know one Chilean street artist in particular whose work is terrific -- maybe you're seeing some of his.

Strange to be hit by flying chocolate milk, but yes, it could have been worse!

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home