Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Let there be Light


I spend time most every day hanging out in the basement using our exercise equipment. The basement is far from beautiful as you can see. I really don’t care much about the decor, but the lighting (or lack thereof) is starting to wear on my nerves.

If I am lying on my back on the GTS (gravity) machine at the far side, I look up into those two bare light bulbs and my eyes say “ouch”. Something must be done about that.

I considered some sort of giant shade for the existing light, but that is not really what is needed.

Last night as I went through various asanas in my yoga class, I looked up and saw what I think is the perfect solution. The yoga studio is a fairly large space -- at least 40’ by 20’. Four sets of 3-bulb tracks light the entire space quite adequately and in a way that doesn’t shine light directly into anyone’s eyes.

The basement space is somewhat smaller, so maybe fewer lights are needed. I don’t know how it will work dropping them down from the existing ceiling beams.

An electrician is coming over tomorrow to assess the project and make recommendations. Hopefully he will agree with my idea and be able to make it happen.

I found this track light on Amazon at a reasonable price.


Any thoughts or recommendations?

8 Comments:

Blogger e said...

I was just wondering, what is a gravity machine?

10:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- The GTS machine is made by EFI Sports Medicine and is the greatest thing I have ever found for helping me stretch and strengthen. I was first introduced to it while doing PT. Here is a description of how the machine works and here is a picture of such a machine.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Painting the cinderblock walls white and/or wallboarding the ceiling would make a huge difference.

Your electrician shouldn't have any trouble at all tying into the wiring for the fixture that's already there.

To get the lighting really even, I'd recommend four flushmount fixtures that hold 2-3 bulbs each. You can find really inexpensive fixtures that are reasonably attractive at Lowes or Home Depot. If you load them up with compact fluorescent bulbs, they'll last a long time and use less energy. Or you can go the totally utilitarian route and get tube fluorescent fixtures. Those are probably the most economical option.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I didn't think I wanted fluorescent fixtures because I think of that as harsh light that can't be redirected. I don't want to be looking up at bright bulbs when I am on my back!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I hate that kind too, but they do put out a lot of light.

Compact fluorescent bulbs in frosted glass fixtures are not harsh at all - it's a very soft effect.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of the things I love about you, Barbara. You get an idea about something one day, and the next day you're on it.

I'm with you about the fluorescent bulbs and the bare bulbs. Track lighting is great because you can enjoy it indirectly; we have it in one of our home work spaces.

When I'm reading on my exercise machine at home I sometimes supplement with a clip-on light (the Mighty Bright Orchestra Light is great, albeit a bit harsh light for regular reading).

F.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. The machine looks intriguing! This didn't exist when I worked in the PT world -- I hope you'll let me try it when I eventually come visit! :-) So glad it works well for you.

F.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- We were a little shocked at the estimate for the electrical work. Another guy is coming on Monday. After that we will do something.

The guy who came yesterday agreed with the idea of track lighting and made some good suggestions despite being high-priced.

You are most welcome to try out the GTS when you come to visit. The things I enjoy most are jumping and using the leg system that stretches and strengthens your legs.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home